Thursday 5 December 2013

Dec 5, 2013 - 33 weeks 3 days pregnant

I have read a lot about twins and have heard from many twin mom's and experts that 34 weeks is the most major milestone for twin gestation.  At 34 weeks the babies have the same chance of physical and mental challenges as babies born at 37 weeks - there is however an increased likelyhood that they will need time in the NICU to get bigger.  I am only 4 days away from reaching this milestone and I am thinking of throwing a little party for myself and my babies when I get there!
On a less happy note, the reality of being pregnant with twins is setting in with some rather unpleasant physical side effects.  My calves are so swollen that I cannot wear socks, my back hurts from sleeping on my side, my back hurts from even pausing on my back mid-roll over, I am no longer able to sleep through the night, and simple tasks like standing for more than a few minutes are very uncomfortable.  These are all minor set backs and they have in no way deterred me from wanting to carry these babies to term, I am merely point out that being 33 weeks pregnant with twins is tough.  But it's worth it!
Brian has been so great this whole time and even though he gives me daily tasks to complete for him/us he encourages me to take it easy and spend most of my day resting.  This is such a luxury and one that I am trying to appreciate as much as possible.  For example, today it was really warm out so I decided to sit in our hot tub for a bit before taking my afternoon nap.  As I lay in the hot tub reading a book and listening to the kids play in the school yard behind our house I left so relaxed.  What a gift this time off is.
My Mom also returned from Florida yesterday and stayed the night with us on her way home.  It was so great to see her and Marsha again, I am realizing how lucky I am that they will be staying with us once the babies are born.  My Mom, between comments about how I have to keep my feet up, also commented on how prepared Brian and I appear to be.  The truth is that I am so freaked out about the idea of having to go out and get anything with two babies that I have simply amassed every possible thing they could need for their first 6 months of life.  It is however reassuring to hear that we seem to have things together - now lets just hope that feeling of preparedness continues once our little monkeys come.

No comments:

Post a Comment