Thursday 12 December 2013

Day 3 - bed time

Well it's the end of day 3 and it's been our best day yet.  I got to go to the NICU 4 times today and had lots of skin to skin with both babies.  Grandma Jane also got to hold James for the first time today!  Both babies passed their jaundice test for the second time.  Tomorrow they will probably start formula feeds through a tube inserted into their stomachs through their noses.  I am pumping every 3 hours but it could still be a few days or weeks before my milk comes in because of all the complications surrounding their birth and my recovery.  In the meantime they will get formula so that they can grow big and strong so that they can come home in a few weeks.  
It has been another emotional day.  When I hold them I just get so overwhelmed by how much I love them and am filled with such gratitude for how healthy they are.  Brian and I feel truly blessed!

My recovery is going well.  I had a 3 hour iron drip this morning and may have a few more in the coming weeks.  The nurses all keep trying to push Tylenol on me.  I don't think that they believe that I am not in pain.  But I'm really not and with all the meds I've been on in the last few days it's nice to be  mostly free and clear.  
There is a good chance that I will be discharged tomorrow.  Thankfully Brian was able to take another day off so we can figure out a course of action if that is the case.  The hospital has special rooms for parents of NICU babies so we will try to book one of those so that we can stay close by to pump and be with the twins.  If not we will have to figure out a plan for travelling back and forth from the hospital a few times per day.  We will have to wait and see.  

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I stayed in one of those rooms and it was well worth the $20 a night that they charged me. It's so hard to be far way from your babes.

    ReplyDelete