Friday 27 December 2013

Day 17 - unexpected surgery

Hi everyone 

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but it's been kinda crazy and I didn't want to post until I knew everything was okay.

Without getting into too many details at at about 5 am I realized that something in my uterus was just not right so Brian and I went to the ER.  They did an ultrasound and found a 3 cm by 3 cm piece of placenta still inside.  

At noon yesterday I had surgery to have it removed.  By the grace of God they put me to sleep so I didn't feel any pain (I had the same surgery the day the twins were born but it was an emergency then so they did not sedate me and it was excruciatingly painful!)
I woke up in recovery feeling totally fine and I was released to go visit the babies in the NICU around 5 pm.  A huge thank you to Jane and Dave and the NiCU team who looked after James while Brian was with me.

Everything is fine now, I just have to pump and dump my milk for 24 hours because of the anesthetic.  Luckily my body was made for milking and I have tonnes of milk already frozen for the babies. The silver lining of all this is that I got to have a summersby cider with dinner!

Tomorrow morning  I have an iron transfusion at the hospital to bring my hemoglobin levels up and then James has his first Dr. Appointment with my family dr. 

A quick update on Josie:

She is gaining weight like a champ.  She is also doing great with her bottle feeds.  The nursing team was talking about the possibility of her bring discharged as early as Saturday.  Unfortunately, she had a "spell" where her heart rate dipped below 80 bpm and she did not self correct.  This means she has to stay in the NICU for another 7 days.  So we are looking at January 2 as the day we get to bring our little girl home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment