Friday 13 December 2013

Day 4 - first successful breast feed!

Warning:  I am going to talk about breast feeding!

Brian and I just got back from the NICU where I was able to successfully breast feed Josie for the first time!  I have been pumping and hand expressing small amounts since I was well enough to try on Day 2.  Today a lactation consultant came to the NICU with us and showed me how to get Josie to latch.  She was so good at it.  We did it for about 30 min on and off!  Josie then got some formula through her NG tube.  This is great because even with the formula she will associate being full with breast feeding!
We are back in my room for a nap now and will try the same thing with James at 5.  This is a huge breakthrough as I have just about every possible obstacle in front of me when it came to breast feeding. This is a small step in the right direction for me and for my babies!

1 comment: