Saturday 21 December 2013

Day 12 - just another day in the NICU

We slept over at the hospital last night because of the freezing rain.  I gave James  a bottle at 2 am because he was wide awake and he drank about half.  The rest was given to him through his tube.  We are finding that the nurses are really keen on getting the babies, especially James, to breast and bottle feed but there is a find line between helping him learn to feed orally and over exerting him so that he doesn't gain weight.  It's hard to know what is best for him, and also hard to go against the nurses suggestions because we want him to have more time to rest.

All in all it was a pretty typical day.  We snuck  out for a few hours in the morning to go Christmas shopping which has left me totally exhausted.  Brian is going to have to do the rest, hopefully there isn't too much more because it means he has to be away from me and the babies.  

We are staying over at the hospital again tonight and Brian is going to give Josie a bath when we go back in to visit with them at 8 pm.  

I am a little worried about our holiday committeements over the next few days.  I am still in a lot of pain and I get tired very easily.  It's also hard to imagine celebrating Christmas away from our little ones.  I think it is going to be an exhausting and emotional few days but hopefully we will be able to get back into our routine with them soon.  




2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about your holiday commitments. Everyone will understand. You rest up and snuggle those babies! I love all your updates and pictures. I check every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, everyone will understand. We can bring your Turkey dinner if you can't be there in person! The twins will be ready to party next year!

    ReplyDelete