Tuesday 10 December 2013

Perhaps I should explain pre-eclampsia

Now that we've called our parents and sent everyone the link to our blog I am realizing that I should probably explain what pre-eclampsia is so that you all don't worry too much.  As far as I know PE is when high blood pressure causes your kidneys to release protein into your urine and diminishes the platelets in your blood.  A common characteristic on PE is swelling of the hands and feet (which I have) and headache (which I don't).  There is no cure and it can be dangerous if not treated.  The good news is that the babies are totally fine and that since I am 34 weeks they are safe to be delivered with minimal risks.  They will need to stay in the NICU for a few weeks to get bigger and develop their sucking skills.
Now that we've shared the news with all of you we will try to get some sleep before labour starts.

1 comment: