Thursday 10 April 2014

Happy 4 Month Birthday JJ

I can't believe it's been 4 months since our little monkeys were born.  In some ways time has gone by very fast (I can't remember very much of the last 4 months) and in other ways it seems to have gone by slowly (it certainly felt that way while we were in the NICU and then at home when the babies were awake every 3 hours at night).
I am pleased to say that being a mom has gotten a lot easier over the last two months (looking back now the first two months were very "challenging" and I am so grateful to have had so much support).  I think it's getting easier because I now understand my babies, know their needs, and their likes and dislikes.  They've also settled into a great night time routine where they usually  sleep from 8 pm to 8 am with one feed in the middle around 2 am (last night they slept from 7:30-3:30 and it's 8 am and they are still sleeping now!). Getting them on a sleep schedule has given Brian and I the chance to get into a sleep schedule ourselves.  This is especially great for Brian who gets up for the night feeding with me and them gets up at 6 am for work while the rest of us sleep (Dad of the year?).  
They are also eating well , every 1.5-3 hours during the day and they continue to slowly but steadily gain weight.  At 4 months old Josie is almost too big for her newborn clothes.  
They have also developed their own personalities and interests.  James is pretty easy going.  He loves lying on his play mat and reaching for all the dangly objects. He also likes sitting in his bouncy chair and watching us cook and eat dinner.  He is fascinated by shadows, lights and ceiling fans and he is most content when being held in the airplane position.  He is slower to smile but will smile and laugh when Brian plays with him.  He is also great on his tummy and has even started pushing himself up on his firearms!  So far our nicknames for him are:  little man, little hulk, chunky monkey and Jimmy-James.


Josie is our princess.  People often say that she looks like a doll because she is so tiny (just 9 lbs right now).  She is a morning person and is all smiles and coos when we play with her in the morning.  She is a bit more high-maintenance than her brother and she insists on being held, fed and cuddled more.  She hates tummy time and often simply refuses to do it.  She is however very capable of holding her head up when she is being held by someone.  She tolerates her play mat and sitting in her bouncy chair but what she really wants us to be snuggled and held.  
Josie is a great eater.  She breastffeeds really well and no longer pukes after eating.  She has however developed a habit of drooling lately, probably because she is teething.  She is also a great sleeper and almost always goes right to sleep when we put her down for the night.   Our nicknames for her so far are: Princess, Peanut and JoJo.  


As for Brian and I; I'd say we're doing pretty well.  We've settled into our new life and now that we have an established night time routine, and the babies are sleeping well, we are getting a bit of time together.  Brian had the foresight to buy a Hottub before the babies were born (because we wouldn't be able to afford it once I stoped working and we wouldn't be going out nearly as much).  This has meant that a few times a week we've been able to sit in the hot tub for half an hour together and just talk - it's wonderful! 
 We have also had A LOT of help from our parents which has been great. I have really liked having my mom here during the day so that I not only have help with the babies but also some adult conversation.  Having Marsha has also been nice because she makes great stew and can help us with bath time when Brian or I is out for a church meeting.  We have also started a tradition with Dave and Jane on Friday nights that includes dinner together and then them putting the babies to sleep.  While they put the babies to sleep Brian and I either go in our hot tub or sneak out of the house for a date (in the beginning we would just go to sleep ourselves which was a luxury in itself).  I hope our Friday nights with the Allen's continues for a long time.
For me, the key to my happiness as a mom has been keeping the babies busy. We've joined a few mom and baby groups and I take them to the gym with me a few days a week.  As well, now that the weather is getting nice, I hope to take them for a walk ever day. Recording their progress in this blog has also helped me celebrate their little achievements, especially since I can remember very little of what I've written so far.  
With summer coming I am excited to take the babies to our cottages.  I am excited for all the time we will have together and with our family.  I hope they like swimming in the lake.  Thank you to everyone who continues to read this.  It makes me happy to know that there are so many people who care about our family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment